Peace in Routine

A picture from my morning run

Being on vacation is hard for me.

This may not be a surprise to many of you who know me, in real life.

Whether I am physically away from my home or at home, but choosing to actually give myself a break from my academic life to enjoy my family and friends, it’s hard for me to relax (I mean, until I get into hour 4 of a Chopped marathon with my son).  Or maybe, it’s hard for me to relax without feeling like I should be doing something.

This morning, I got up and went for a 3-mile run. I missed my training run yesterday and figured that it would be a good (non-academic) way for me to feel productive even when I’m being present with my family.  (It would also be a nice 30 minutes away from said family who were peacefully tucked into their beds.) I got home, showered and started on this blog post, my other daily commitment (at least for the next 19 days).

As I sat down to write, I realized that this is just enough.  The morning calm, to write a few words and run a few miles, is just enough.  While I am aware that there are more things to write (and read) and more miles to run, I am choosing a break with just enough productivity to soothe my restless type A self.