Investing Wisely

graph-163509__180

Today, has been a hard day.  It’s been hard because of my beliefs about investing time and energy and my commitment to enacting those beliefs.

Yesterday, I wrote about my introduction posts and how I seek to create community before students even enter the classroom.  Part of that involves a series of activities, the introduction posts being one, that invite students to choose powerfully to be in my courses.  One of the greatest things about being part of a large post-secondary teacher education program is that my students have choices. And, if students are going to spend a semester with me, I want them to choose to do so with an open mind and an understanding of the commitment that the course requires.  I do not think I am the best professor for everyone.  My classes require a lot of investment, because I invest a lot into them.  However, I believe that there is a great return on investment.  I work with each of my students where they are and support them to grow over the semester.  That starts by knowing who they are and where they are, often, and by caring about their stories.

People often ask me, “So, how do you do this and keep your time investment manageable.” The real answer is that I don’t.  I wish that there was a magic way to invest less time and energy into my teaching, but there isn’t.  I respond to every single introductory discussion board post (at least 80).  Today, I spent over an hour trying to counsel a student into a better section to fit her needs after reading her initial assignment in which she expressed concerns about the format of my class.  I read all my exit slips (sometimes I retweet them). I tinker with my course every semester.  I give extensive feedback within 24-48 hours of assignments being submitted.  I know, it’s crazy making, but I believe in investing time up front so that my teacher candidates can improve as they progress in their journey.

Where you invest, you promote growth.  Like in monetary investment, of course, there isn’t always a return on your investment.  You devote time and energy and effort and it seems lost or wasted.  However, if you never take the time to invest, there is no chance for full development. At times, as with monetary investment, you run out of your capital (time, energy, etc.), so you’ve got to take capital from another, perhaps equally important, place, and decide where to invest it.  In those moments everything seems like a worthy investment, or perhaps, an urgent investment, so sometimes, in desperation, you throw your capital towards the first thing that comes up.

But, sometimes, you pause. You reflect. And you remember how precious your resources are and that you can’t contribute without self-care.

I still have a lot to do today, but the most important thing is investing a few precious moments in reflection, self-care, and reminding myself of the love of others and my good fortune to be where I am.