Choosing Wisely

Photo by Qimono courtesy of Pixabay

Now that I’m on day 3 of the 30-day writing/ blogging challenge that I’m doing with my friends Wes & Darlene, the ideas for blog posts have started rolling.  Today, I thought about writing a post on the idea of beloved community or a companion piece to yesterday’s piece on my daughter about my son.  Those posts will be forthcoming and I’m excited to write them.

But honestly, today, I just don’t have the time.

Last night, over late night happy hour pumpkin cheesecake, my friend Patty and I were having a conversation on ROI (return on investment).  She is on my “life advisory board” (alongside my husband and some trusted friends–Yafa, you’re on it too, it just never actually meets…I consult you all individually)–the people who give me valued advice about not taking on things that aren’t worth my time, who know my values and commitments (and my tendency to do too much), and who tell me when they think I should probably let something go.  I’m more likely to listen to them than others, but I still (CLEARLY) don’t listen enough of the time.

So, today, with a million different commitments and 41 assignments to grade, I’m just going to write this blog post on choosing wisely, which sometimes means choosing the easiest thing that will help you honor your 150 word daily commitment. I’m working on letting go of this standard of profundity all the time, and being willing to be just good enough more often in these 30 days (and hopefully in life outside of this blog).  I suppose my desire to always do my best holds me back from sometimes from doing things I want to do, knowing that I could do them better, if….  But, as my current best self says, this was the best choice I could have made today; this is the best I can do in the moment, and that’s alright.  It’s just a blog post.

Choosing wisely doesn’t always mean choosing the hardest, most reflective or best idea.

Sometimes we need to choose that which allows us to survive. Wisdom shifts.  I can shift too.

Just leaving this here to remind myself.