Lent Days 2 & 3 Contributing to Communities

You know the great thing about contribution?  It’s a great feeling to support people and organizations doing great work.  Yesterday, I was blessed to attend the 26th annual California Conference for Equality and Justice Interfaith Intercultural breakfast, an event that brings together people from many different communities to support an organization committed to “eliminating bias, bigotry, and racism through education, conflict resolution and advocacy.”

While I was there, I was able to contribute to the organization as well as contributing to another great community-based organization, Tia Chucha’s Centro Cultural, an independent bookstore and cultural center that serves the Latino/ Xicano community in the San Fernando Valley, which is owned by Luis J. Rodriguez, LA Poet laureate and acclaimed author, through the purchase of lots of great literature and a cool new shirt:

Literature and clothing with a message, for a great cause

And, I got a gift of my own, in getting Mr. Rodriguez to sign a book for someone close to me and posing with him for a picture! Such an awesome contribution to me since I’ve admired his work since my middle school teaching days:

Me with Luis J Rodriguez!

Today’s contribution was also about community and my teaching days.  My very first student teacher, who is also a dear friend, started a gofundme campaign to support her Junior and Senior students, in a public high school in Oakland, California, explore the world around them during an intersession in the community.  They designed these projects and were encouraged to dream big.  Now she is raising the funds to help them make their dreams come true.

Contribution is a beautiful thing.  Community is even greater.  It’s been a really important season for reflection for me. Thanks for coming along for the ride 🙂