Making Time to Write

Photo by Kyle Glenn on Unsplash

I am many things: human, woman, mother, partner, sister, friend, person of faith, academic, runner, writer, singer — many things.

But, I don’t always prioritize those things equally, and when I’m out of balance (did I mention I’m also a Libra?), I end up feeling completely overwhelmed.

Sometimes, I look back on the early days of this blog and I laugh a little at myself because writing used to be such a challenge for me, as I began my academic journey.  And, there are some days where writing is still hard — trying to put thoughts out in a way that makes sense to others isn’t an easy task.

But more often than not, these days, I am wanting to write. I am wanting the world to hear my voice. I know that there are stories that I have to tell that either aren’t being told or that could use more voices to amplify them.

And now, prioritizing writing is about prioritizing myself, prioritizing my voice, and taking up space.

I am so grateful to do the work that I do, and that, at this point in my life and career, I’m working on academic and personal projects that make me excited to contribute my perspectives, to move my feet (when running) and my fingers (when typing), but like running, this work that I do, the writing that I love, is a discipline.  It’s something that I (personally) need to do daily, so that, even if only for a few minutes each day, I am listening to my own voice, I am sharing my own thoughts, I am dialoguing in the world, even if no one else hears me.

It is healing to listen to my own voice in the stillness of my own space (physical and virtual). It is healing to pause, to write, to be, and to begin my day in this way.