Post Semester Slump

Photo by jurien huggins on Unsplash

That pile under the covers in the picture at the top of this post.  This is not me.

But it could be.

My friend, Wes, wrote this hilarious rhyming poem Facebook note for day 6 of our joint 30-day writing challenge, and I’m over here, like, “Um, I can’t think of a topic easy enough for me, in my post-semester mush state, to write about.”

So, I’m going to write about exactly that: post-semester slump.  That feeling that many students, teachers, and academics get (at least, according to my Facebook & Twitter feeds) where you’re hanging on until the end of the semester, and then you either physically get sick or mentally check out as soon as you’re on break.

I still have numerous things on my to-do list (i.e. my “I’m going to do this once I’m on break because I don’t have time to get to it during the semester” list) to get done, things that both need to get done (some with deadlines, others because I have no other time to do them) and things that I enjoy doing (I mean, as much as one can enjoy things that require focused brain functioning) but I am straight over doing anything but listening to some music with my scented candle next to me, staring at some flowers, and maybe, just maybe, indulging in some binge junk Food Network shows.  I am literally so checked out that I am bitter that I need to heat my oven to warm some Trader Joe’s mini-quiches (why on earth can I not just microwave these quiches like their normal, larger counterparts?!).

Okay, well, rant over, 150 word goal met.  I’ve got to make a choice now, either to get on that to-do list, or open up my TV app and start that senseless television train….