How Do You Move Forward When the World Keeps Shattering Around You?

I don’t claim Santa Clarita often.

I have a complicated relationships with my hometown.  It is a place where I struggled to find self-acceptance, a sense of true belonging, and where I lost my mother.  But, it is also the place where I grew up, that inspired my understanding for the importance of educators, where many people close to my heart still live and teach and raise their families.

This morning there was a school shooting at Saugus High School. A very dear friend of mine from childhood works in this district. When I first heard the news and before I could google search that she worked at another school in the district, I frantically texted to make sure she was alright. She was. She was at the district office in a training.  She was returning to her site.

It is exactly one month before the 7th anniversary of the shooting at Sandy Hook school where my nephew was a second grader at the time of the shooting.   The blog post I wrote On Trauma and Teaching is a post about collective trauma that I returned to this morning.  The following Monday, I wrote about the importance of humanization as a society, in No Ordinary Monday.

Last month, I wrote about our own campus lockdown in another post What does it mean to be “okay”? Three days later, as I thought about how to support my students through our collective trauma, in Reflections on Today’s Community Circle & Doing My Best, I talked about the autopilot I go into after having experienced so many incidents of violence so close to me and people I love, and about trying to bring restoration through acknowledging our shared humanity and our collective trauma.

So, here I am, less than 6 weeks later, facing another moment of collective trauma, this time in my hometown. And I am doing what I know to do to move forward, to write, to share, to think through healing, to advocate for a greatest emphasis on our shared humanity.

But the breaking is hard. It is especially hard on a Thursday, when I have regular life scheduled until 8:30 pm tonight. I let my colleague and friend run the meeting I had at 10am so I could sit in my dark office and write this post. But at 12, I’ll need to go to class, at 2:30, I’ll need to be on a call, at 4, I’ll need to teach, at 7, I’ll need to go to a PTSA meeting.  And I will go, I will do, I will move forward, because what else is there to do?

In the midst of it all, life continues to move forward. I continue to make mistakes (including two I realized while I was writing this post). I continue to struggle to be my best self.

But how? How do you just keep moving forward when the world keeps breaking for those around you? How do you keep picking up pieces that seem to be smaller and smaller and more fragmented each and every time? How?

Asking for a friend.  Asking for myself. Asking for us all.

3 thoughts on “How Do You Move Forward When the World Keeps Shattering Around You?

1. Thank you for this and thank you to your colleague who stepped in to give space for you to write. There are lots of ways that life is complicated and hard that feel like part of the shaping of people and communities, uniting and debating and defining and changing and growing together. This is not one of those ways: gun violence and the relentless feeling of literally being vulnerable and sending our dearest and most vulnerable into spaces that continue to get shattered is devastating. How we move forward has to include togetherness, policy change, mental health training for all, and so much more.

2. Thinking of you. Your image of those tiny pieces is so apt. Maybe it helps to remember we’re not alone. So glad you wrote this blog post, especially since I’ve deactivated facebook (in a pique at Mr. Zuckerberg one day). Glad to hear you are “okay” even in the qualified way you write here. Love,
    Johanna M